Achievements 2013 and goals for 2014
A new year, a new start.
Looking back what I've accomplished in my previous year, I can be proud.
What did I do?
I quit my job on the 1st of January (exactly one year ago). I left at the 1st of March (because of the contract) and went on a world trip 9 days later.
Here I gained a lot of new experiences:
- to travel alone
- to be in another continent
- to learn about budishm from a book named "Boeddhisme in alle eenvoud" (Dutch) and converced with a travelling monc on an Airplane to New Zealand
- to see amazing nature which I thought was only real in movies and photoshop
- to conquer fears of height by bungee-jumping from 134 meters and skydiving from 15,000 + feet
- to experience the joy of water sports like wild river rafting and surfing in Australia
- to get my PADI license in the great barrier reef where I swam with sharks in the night
- to experience my first "culture shock" in Thailand
- to hold a snake around my neck
- to meet amazing people and made new friends overseas (I still have contact with some of them, and some of them I already have seen again in Europe)
- to spend weeks with a girl who managed to remove herself from the 9 to 5 job, works only 2 hours a month and gains enough money this way to travel around the world
- to be a vegetarian (I still eat vegetarian today)
Inspired by my trip, I came back to the Netherlands ready to take over the world. So here's what I experienced from June 2013:
- to start working independent as a freelancer
- to learn about the new rich in books like "rich dad, poor dad" and "the 4 hour workweek"
- to learn about investing from books and people who know about it
- to make my first stock exchange (I bought FCEL at 1.27, it went up to 1.89, but now it's back to 1.41) I'm still hanging in there
- to budget with YNAB
- to gain my first client and my first payment for ideallical
- I trained for my first 10Km running, and together with my friend Bushka we ran the 10Km at "de singelloop". My time was: 45.22 minutes.
But the main reason I came back to the Netherlands was because my sister was pregnant. And so in 2013, on the 1st of August I got a beautiful niece and became an uncle for the first time!
Other than that, I experienced:
- my first time to Lowlands (the most famous festival from the Dutch festivals)
- "de Gentse feesten" with my two highschool friends (as tradition we do this every year by bike)
- inspiring someone to quit his job. I inspired the boyfriend of my sister to quit his job and become a freelancer as well. He now earns a lot more and has a lot more free time.
Yes, this definitely was one of my best years of my life. And I'm very thankful for it!
Now for my next year, 2014, I have some goals as well. Here are a few of them:
- run half a marathon (21.1 km) (eventually I want to do a full marathon)
- make another dive somewhere in the world (Thailand, Philippines or Indonesia preferably)
- convert my freelance license into a real company to gain tax- and legal benefits
- make a product that I can sell and make a steady income from
- make money in stocks
- meet 3 more people who are on the same path as I am
- inspire 3 more people drastically
- visit a good friend wherever he's going to be (Brasil, Portugal, Spain or Swiss)
- write at least 1 blog entry a week (meaning 52 blog entries by the end of 2014)
- laugh a lot with my niece
What are your goals for this year?